SEARED SCALLOP SALAD
July 27, 2021
- 6 scallops, thawed
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 capsicum roughly chopped
- Pea shoots for garnish
- Mescaline salad mix
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Defrost scallops before use. Gently remove remaining piece of membrane (this will be a beige color piece on the side that is a little firmer than the scallop meat). Place on paper towel, pat dry and set aside.
- Make the dressing by mixing the lime juice, honey, vinegar and salt in a bowl. Avoid using a metal bowl as this reacts with the lime juice and alters the flavor. Set aside.
- Dice the capsicum and mix with an even amount of both salad mix and pea shoots in a bowl.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add enough olive oil to lightly cover the pan. When the pan begins to smoke add the scallops, one at a time. Keep heat on a medium high heat and let sit for 30 seconds. Gently move each scallop separately, if they don’t move they aren’t ready .
- Once they are sealed and move, turn scallops and turn heat off. Let sit for a further 15 -20 seconds and remove to a separate plate. They should feel firm but not hard and have a nice golden brown sear around the edges and a little across the center. The scallops will taste sweet with a medium texture when eaten.
- Dress the salad mix and gently place the scallops on the edge and atop the salad, add a little more dressing to cover the scallops. Serve immediately.